Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dream #5

I needed some unwrinkled dollar bills, and all the dollar bills I had were completely crumpled. The line at the bank was too long so I wandered down the corridor to the auditorium and opened the over-sized auditorium doors. In the cavernous dark room sat a small illuminated table with helpful lady attendants and only a couple of students in line. They were collecting for the United Negro College Fund, so got in line and prepared to trade my wrinkled dollars for straight ones but thought I’d better make a donation while I was at it instead of just trading dollars. So after a lot of consternation, I decided to trade in three wrinkled dollars for flat ones and donate two dollars to the fund. Just as I got to the attendant lady with her metal cash box, I felt the tension on the waistline of my pants go slack and my pants started to sag. I tried to ignore it and deal with the transaction, but my pants sagged some more and both my hands were busy, one clutching dollars to trade and one clutching dollars to donate. The problem was not going to solve itself. Then I saw the button on the table – the button Veronica had sewn on my pants. The button had popped, I wasn’t wearing a belt, and still wanted to trade up for flat dollar bills, while my pants kept slipping and sliding down my hips.

No comments: